Get the best out of your games by scripting them using UE4.
Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) is a complete suite of game development tools made by game developers, for game developers. With more than 100 practical recipes, this book is a guide showcasing techniques to use the power of C++ scripting while developing games with UE4. It will start with adding and editing C++ classes from within the Unreal Editor. It will delve into one of Unreal’s primary strengths, the ability for designers to customize programmer-developed actors and components. It will help you understand the benefits of when and how to use C++ as the scripting tool. With a blend of task-oriented recipes, this book will provide actionable information about scripting games with UE4, and manipulating the game and the development environment using C++. Towards the end of the book, you will be empowered to become a top-notch developer with Unreal Engine 4 using C++ as the scripting language.
What You Will Learn
- Build function libraries (Blueprints) containing reusable code to reduce upkeep
- Move low-level functions from Blueprint into C++ to improve performance
- Abstract away complex implementation details to simplify designer workflows
- Incorporate existing libraries into your game to add extra functionality such as hardware integration
- Implement AI tasks and behaviors in Blueprints and C++
- Generate data to control the appearance and content of UI elements