English | 2017 | ISBN: 978-1683920373 | 540 Pages | EPUB, PDF (conv) | 30 MB
This is a one-semester, introductory programming textbook in Java that uses game applications as a central pedagogical tool to improve student engagement, learning outcomes, and retention. Game programming is incorporated into the text in a way that does not compromise the amount of material traditionally covered in a basic programming course and permits instructors who are not familiar with game programming and computer graphics concepts to realize the verified pedagogical advantages of game applications. The companion disc includes a game environment that is easily integrated into projects created with the popular Java Development Environments, including Eclipse, NetBeans, and JCreator in a student-friendly way and also includes a set of executable student games to peak their interest by giving them a glimpse into their future capabilities. The material presented in the book is in full compliance with the 2013 ACM/IEEE computer science curriculum guidelines. It has been used to teach programming to students whose majors are within and outside of the computing fields. Ancillaries include a comprehensive instructor’s resource disc with programming solutions, slides, quizzes, projects, and more.
- Uses an objects-early approach to learning Java
- Follows the 2013 ACM/IEEE computer science curriculum guidelines
- Integrates game applications as a central pedagogical tool to improve student engagement, learning outcomes, and retention
- Includes a companion disc with projects created with the popular Java Development Environments; also includes a set of executable student games, source code, and figures
- Uses working programs to illustrate concepts under discussion
- Complete instructor’s resource package available upon adoption