OAuth 2.0 is a powerful authorization framework that enables your application to interact with the world’s most popular service providers, allowing you to leverage their world-class technologies in your own application.
At the start of this book, you will learn what OAuth 2.0 is, how it works, and the steps involved in creating an OAuth 2.0 application. You will first look at the process of registering your client application. Following this, you will explore the different supported workflows, their differences, and when they should be used. Once this groundwork is laid, you will put that knowledge to use by creating a sample application that talks to Facebook using OAuth 2.0.
By the end of the book, you will know how to make a secure and robust OAuth 2.0 application. You will explore different tools and effective methods for debugging. In addition, you will look at important security considerations for your application. Finally, you will understand the different implications of making a native mobile application versus a traditional web application.
What You Will Learn
- Discover the power and prevalence of OAuth 2.0 and use it to improve your application’s capabilities
- Step through the process of creating a real-world application that interacts with Facebook using OAuth 2.0
- Examine the various workflows described by the specification, looking at what they are and when to use them
- Get to know about the many security considerations involved in creating an application that interacts with other service providers
- Develop your debugging skills with dedicated pages for tooling and troubleshooting
- Expand your knowledge of OAuth 2.0 by discovering the many ways OAuth 2.0 can be extended
- Build your own rich, powerful applications by leveraging world-class technologies from companies around the world