Docker has been a game-changer when it comes to virtualization – it has now grown to become a key driver of innovation beyond system administration, having an impact on the world of web development and more. But how can you make sure you’re keeping up with the innovations that it’s driving? How can you be sure you’re using it to its full potential? Mastering Docker shows you how – it not only demonstrates how to use Docker more effectively, it also helps you rethink and reimagine what’s possible with Docker.
Covering best practices to make sure you’re confident with and the basics, such as building, managing and storing containers, before diving deeper into Docker security, you’ll find everything you need to help you extend and integrate Docker in new and innovative ways. You’ll learn how to take greater control over your containers using some of Docker’s most sophisticated and useful tools, such as Docker compose and Docker swarm, before bringing together everything you already know and have learned to put your containers into production and monitor them for safety and performance.
Beyond this, you’ll also explore even more advanced strategies, as you learn how to extend and integrate Docker with cloud platforms such as Heroku and OpenStack, and how tools such as Kubernetes can improve the way you manage large-scale container orchestration. With further guidance on how you can use configuration management tools such as Puppet, Chef and PowerShell, by the end of the book you’ll have a broad and detailed sense of exactly what’s possible with Docker – and how seamlessly it fits with a range of other platforms and tools.
What You Will Learn
- Become fluent with the basic components of Docker
- Learn best practices for storing and managing Docker files
- Secure your containers and files with Docker’s security features
- Learn how to use Docker machine to build new servers from scratch
- Find out how to set up and manage multiple environments with Docker compose
- Utilize Docker Swarm to orchestrate containers across different servers
- Integrate Docker with a wide range of cloud and configuration tools to fully realize its potential