A step-by-step guide to build a well-structured single-page Angular application with a focus on a faster and more enjoyable development experience
Introducing AngularJS will show you how to build a complete application in a very short time, yet without cutting corners that would be detrimental to code quality. We will take you through a concrete application, a movie library app, one step at a time, in order to introduce the concepts behind all the moving parts of an AngularJS application.
We will start by quickly scaffolding an entire application’s structure using Yeoman. This will lay the foundations of our application in a well-structured manner. Then we’ll focus on displaying data and allowing the user to interact with the application, and how can Angular help us handle rendering and events binding, so we can focus more on the app logic itself. We’ll peek into templates and controllers, and will see how Angular’s declarative nature makes it obvious which element is in charge of which functionality.
We will then introduce a second view to the application, and show how to handle routing between the two views, including reading parameters from the URL and how we can very quickly create new routes with the companion tool Yeoman.
You will also learn how to load data from an API using AJAX, both from the same server as the app, as well as from an external source. Finally, we will close by introducing services that are Angular data-layer singleton objects as well as building a client-side data persistence using LocalStorage.
Introducing AngularJS will guide you through all the aspects of an Angular application, start-to-finish, view logic to data layer and persistence. You will learn how Angular makes developers lives easier by taking care of rendering and event handling, giving you more time to focus on what you love: the actual logic of the app. With Yeoman, you will also guarantee the quick creation of new views, routes, and controllers, without ever having to create a file manually.
What You Will Learn
- Kick-start your application in minutes by scaffolding it entirely with Yeoman
- Build a dynamic page and render lists of items in one line of code
- Program Reactions on user-interactions such as clicks, selection change, blur, and more
- Easily validate data present in forms, from simple required fields to complex custom form validation
- Efficiently handle routing between different pages of an application
- Load data from external sources in the background by using AJAX calls with Angular
- Master the use of performing actions asynchronously by creating worker threads