Learn How to Make 2D iOS and tvOS Games!
Learn how to make iOS and tvOS games in Swift, using Apple’s built-in 2D game framework: Sprite Kit. Through a series of mini-games and challenges, you will go from beginner to advanced and learn everything you need to make your own game!
[Screenshots of 6 games: Zombie Conga, Cat Nap, Drop Charge, Dino Defense, Delve, and Circuit Racer]
By the time you’re finished reading this book, you will have made 5 complete mini-games, from an action game to a puzzle game to a tower defense game!
Topics Covered in 2D iOS & tvOS Games by Tutorials
- Sprites: Get started quickly and get your images onto your screen.
- Manual Movement: Move sprites manually with a crash course on 2D math.
- Actions: Learn how to move sprites the “easy way” using Sprite Kit actions.
- Scenes and Transitions: Make multiple screens in your app and move between them.
- Camera: Use Sprite Kit’s built-in camera to control your view.
- Labels: Learn how to display text for lives, score and more in your game.
- tvOS: Learn how to port your game to the Apple TV and work with the remote.
- Physics: Add realistic physics behavior into your games.
- Beyond Sprites: Add video nodes, core image filters, and custom shapes.
- State Machines: Learn about GameplayKit’s state machine support in iOS 9.
- Particle Systems: Add explosions, star fields, and other special effects.
- Adding “Juice”: Take your game from good to great by polishing it until it shines.
- Entity-Component System: Use GameplayKit’s new architecture for max reusability.
- Pathfinding: Make your characters move using GameplayKit’s new pathfinding support.
- Tile Maps: Make games that use tile maps.